Monday, November 21, 2011

album #44

physical graffiti (led zeppelin)

A lot of pretty badass stuff on this album- a heavy, nasty, sexy, swaggering album. Great riffs.

“Custard Pie” sets the tone early, a throbbing rhythmic riff, Robert Plant's ooh's and aah's from across the stage and right up into your body. It's a great opener, one of my favorite tracks. “The Rover” is heavy and nasty, like a serious workout, with an irresistable high riff sneaking in. “Houses of the Holy” charms me, it's got a melodically seductive ease, the song you sing to bring a girl home- not the song you sing once you get there. “Kashmir” is an epic, that thunderous orchestral wave crashing into your ears- a peak moment for the album. There's something about the lazy melodic charm of “Down By The Seaside” that pulls me in, it's worth revisiting. “Ten Years Gone” is a melodic, melancholy beauty, the man choosing music over a particular love. This song's guitars break open in a way that reminds me of the best blues moments from a John Mayer album. And “The Wanton Song” very suddenly became one of my favorite Zeppelin songs, the main riff drives with relentless power, a violent motor, and the shell eventually cracks to reveal this pearl of melody in an aquatic wash of guitar sound. One of those musical moments that I keep tapping like a junkie, willing to listen to so many empty minutes just to hit that perfect taste again.

Lots of good on this album, though I gotta say it's a little long for my tastes- too many songs, and they're all a little too long. Which gives me the odd idea of releasing edited versions of albums (Indeed, I have done this with one or two albums), cut out what I consider filler and keep the songs centered on their best melodic highs. Indulgence seems to be one of Zeppelin's defining traits, and that's evident in both form and function.

No comments:

Post a Comment