Monday, November 7, 2011

album #26

garlands (cocteau twins)

This band first came on my radar at the recommendation of an annoying guy who struck up a conversation with me at the Beach House concert in Philadelphia. This group and that one are similar in the dreamy element; the intricate ambience; Cocteau Twins also strikes me as having a glowering, ominous darkness more befitting a comparison to say, Joy Division. The colors of this album are a dusky gray, weird hints of violet light, bright green smoke. It makes me think of a party in a vast, dark, smokey warehouse, one of those weird Brooklyn parties where it's cold outside and you can feel the chill indoors too, and you can't quite make anything out.

A few particularly cool tracks: the searing hammer of "Blind Dumb Deaf," the strangely soulful rhythm of "Garlands," the shadow lightning chase of "But I'm Not," my favorite track of the moment.

Cool stuff; a band worth continued investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment