Monday, November 21, 2011

album #39

helplessness blues (fleet foxes)

An endearing album, and it's grown on me. "Montezuma" is immediately beautiful, the melancholy choral cascade completely seduces me; "Bedouin Dress" wins me over with that earnest guitar and playful clarinet. The album pulls together beautiful choral harmonies again and again, with that tinge of working man's pastoral sadness, an oldness and wisdom and sense of simplicity throughout. "Helplessness Blues" is an absolute beauty, I love the rhythmic pluck and dash of "Lorelai," especially with the symphonic vocals- it's probably my favorite track on the album, after "Montezuma."

I really love this band- not only beautiful on the level of melody, harmony and instrumentation, but even the wistful philosophical tinge of their lyrics suits me right. This band is one of the greats (and to think, I used to envy/resent/ignore them, just because they're slightly younger than I am. Although that remains a sickening thought.)

No comments:

Post a Comment