Friday, November 4, 2011

album #18

old world underground, where are you now? (metric)

A dark album, a late night album, driving alone, maybe smoking a cigarette outside a club, maybe a coffee shop. Sexy. Emily Haines, one of the great voices of indie music; there's always been an allure in her high, narrow, breathy chanteuse sound. A lot of these are low, vibrating tracks- altogether I'd say this is one of the most useful albums I own, it fits a mood that I often feel, a dark city thoughtfulness. It served me well late nights in school and I still like to return to it now and then, in those moments.

A few star tracks: "Wet Blanket," a tight jerk of a melody; "Hustle Rose," a lovely swoon in the preface before launching off into a more animated drama; "Succexy," one of the best political songs of the Bush era (high-tech personalized bread and circuses); "Calculation Theme," hearbtreakingly simple and subtle, a beautiful low synth pulse, and one of my favorite lyrics in rock, a line that served me well at a particular reflective period: "tonight, your ghost will ask my ghost, who put these bodies between us?"

This is a good go-to album, I've always liked this band and their material.

No comments:

Post a Comment