Friday, November 18, 2011

album #36

pink moon (nick drake)

This album sounds like beautiful autumn photography, memories of the Bronx Zoo or Thanksgiving '07, warm autumn- the leaves every color, the still beauty of the lake, multiplying the images. Leaves that don't necessarily crunch when you step on them. A sweet album with that hint of melancholy, it's very relistenable. Lovely ambient music. Makes me think of the 'lodge rock' genre making its way into pop culture, musical Waldens. This album surely is one of the iconic progenitors of that style.

Nick Drake's a Van Gogh figure, one of those tragic posthumous heroes, and I've appreciated everything of his that I've heard. My favorite song of his is from the Garden State soundtrack, "One of These Things First." As lovely as he can be with just the organic sound of the guitar, I'd also like to hear more of his more layered compositions.

No comments:

Post a Comment