Tuesday, November 1, 2011

album #13

birth of the cool (miles davis)

This is a perfectly charming record, all pretty good. There aren't really any particular tracks I can point to and say, "I love this in a major way" ("Israel" comes closest.) But it's all pleasant. This feels sortof like a pop jazz record, with each song short and digestable, light hearted, easy going, and orderly structured. This is a key record for cool jazz, a genre of lighter, easier jazz. Looking up cool jazz also reminded me of the sad and interesting story of Chet Baker. Anyway, this record is pleasant- it's always nice when one of these songs comes up in the shuffle, and they're all pretty catchy and distinct in their way. But I don't particularly Need any of it, none of it moves me. As far as Davis goes, I think I'm more excited for the moments of metallic acidic strangeness on Bitches Brew, and I prefer A Love Supreme to any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment