Monday, November 7, 2011

album #22

crooked rain, crooked rain (pavement)

This is the Pavement alum for me. When a newly discovered artist disappoints me, I often talk about “finding My album of theirs”- it’s nice when that search works out. “Silence Kit,” love it- the falsetto lilt in the voice, I love that sort of thing. A hint of melodic sentiment. I really can’t describe it except to say it’s exactly Pavement. The slackerly sing/talk cadence, the garage rock instrumentation, the low, leisurely tracks.

Yglesias got involved in a snide rebuttal to Pitchfork’s salute to “Gold Soundz,” celebrating “Cut Your Hair” as the true champ- but seriously, “Gold Soundz” is Vastly better. I’ve tried to resist Pitchfork, but they’re Right. “Gold Soundz” is gorgeous- melodic, nostalgic, cool.

“Newark Wilder etc”- one song that basically is the entire Spoon catalogue, before Spoon. “5-4 Unity” is a terrific instrumental with such a different sound, it makes me think of something that would show up on a bootleg. “Unfur”- great rocking numer, confident, youthful, sounds like a more fun- more suburban- take on Nirvana’s rebellious instincts. More unabashedly commercial.

The album closes with a ramble of very Pavementy songs, which are okay but I don’t totally love- ultimately I just don’t think I Love this band, but they score a run of accessible, awesome, winning tracks in the heart of this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment