Friday, May 29, 2009

album #54

return to cookie mountain (tv on the radio)

I originally listened to this album two summers ago, but I figured it would be good to reacquaint myself. My overall sense of this album remains the same… it’s well produced, there’s a lot of interesting stuff happening in the backgrounds. This is a fun album to listen to slowly- repeat a song, focus on the details. The buzz, the overlap of instruments, that symphonic sound- and Tunde Adebimpe’s voice, which I can’t even quite describe- I just love his versatility, that Bowiesque bark and howl. Melodically though, the album is a little bit boring. The effect of this record is to reinforce my appreciation for Dear Science, because nothing on Return to Cookie Mountain matches the rich, melodic highs of “Family Tree” or “Golden Age.”

That said, my favorite tracks were "I was a Lover," which is really defined and carried by that fascinatingly strange, haunting opening sample- as the avclub called it, it "could have been a warped orchestral blast, the mellifluous din of a building collapse, or the mating call of a brontosaurus"- also "Hours," a song with an exciting, stumblingly intense rhythm, and generally a fine example of a TVotR song that mixes their usual background intrigue with a good, interesting melody in the foreground. Also I really enjoyed the dark drive and the intensity of "Blues From Down Here," which also includes particularly varied, cool, squealy/low vocals by Tunde.

Overall I didn't love this record but it's grown on me- I feel like this is one of those albums where the album is a little bit exhausting, but many of the individual songs are good for relistening and studying. The biggest compliment I can give this record is, I want to keep listening to it because I'm still trying to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment