Tuesday, May 12, 2009

album #48

yankee hotel foxtrot (wilco)

This was a really good album. The really eclectic instrumentation stood out- this band combines instruments unlike anything I’ve quite heard. Much of this record feels like discoveries in the attic… the nostalgic, contemplative tone of several songs, the quiet buzzing, the creaks, the audible slap of the guitar strings, the lowness. Very chill.

My favorite tracks: the opener, “I Am Trying to Break Your Heart” is fantastic. Exploratory, kindof epic, strangely beautiful instrument choices, sweetly sad lyrics- this feels like one of the songs that really defines this band. I barely know Wilco but I bet this is considered one of their masterpieces. “Kamera” is decently catchy, uptempo, likable, and always deserves another listen. “Jesus, Etc.” is another instant favorite. Catchy, contemplative, subdued. Really nice guitar. “Heavy Metal Drummer” is more straightforward than a lot of the other songs. Simply good, fun, funny pop. “I’m the Man Who Loves You” is a nice, sharper, more rocking song, and for whatever reason it really reminds me of Elliot Smith.

This is one of those records in which the songs are decent, and the collective power of the album comes from the tone and the wholeness of what they’ve accomplished- a dark, lovely, eclectic work.

No comments:

Post a Comment