Tuesday, May 19, 2009

album #51

bachelor no. 2 (aimee mann)

This is an extremely pleasant album. Chill, melodic, altogether lovely. Most of the songs give this vibe of, the weary lover, moving on. Sometimes it veers on sleepy, but generally I liked this album's sound. I listened to it off of youtube but I'd love to get it for itunes and be able to revisit my favorites with ease.

One fault of the music, or maybe of my imagination, is it's hard to think up adjectives or descriptions to differentiate the songs. Generally, the ones I loved can all be described as swellingly melodic. These include "Nothing is Good Enough," my overall favorite "Satellites," the more rocking "Ghost World" and "Susan," and the Portishead-ish, mellow strangeness of "Calling it Quits."

Again, this is the sort of record where even the songs I don't mention are plenty good and listenable. I love Aimee Mann's voice and would happily listen to some more of her work this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment