Saturday, May 16, 2009

album #50

weezer (weezer)

This is an easy album to review because it's not exactly new. I wasn't sure if I'd heard it before, but I definitely have; I've known this album for years, back when my roommate played it a lot freshman year.

Sometimes I find Weezer's garage rock sound a little bland- on a couple tracks the rhythm is rather predictable and uninspired. And sometimes the lyrics are a little too dark, too unnerving for my tastes- "No One Else," for example, is one of the few songs I've heard this year that I flat-out dislike. But the good songs are pretty darn good. My favorite is "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here"- lovely melody, nice guitar, relatable sentiment. Weezer seems to have a fuck of a lot of, (if I was in high school, I would feel somehow cooler and special for nodding my head with a group of people and being like, 'fuck yes, this is for real') songs. "Say It Ain't So" is the best of these- "Undone" and "Buddy Holly" are also pretty good and fit into that category.

Many of the songs are memorable and unique- strange lyrics, nice melodies. Like Ted Leo, my maximum ability to enjoy this album is a little hindered by emotional connotations. It's a solid record altogether, but nothing that really excites me, nothing I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment