Tuesday, May 26, 2009

album #53

keep it like a secret (built to spill)

This record was a disappointment, somewhat. My favorite song, I first heard a few months ago- "Carry the Zero," a magnificent, passionate, melodic song with a glowing, cascading guitar sound. That's the song that made me want to hear the album, and I expected the rest of this record to approach that height- I expected to fall in love with this record. Instead, I got a pretty pleasant date from it, but not much more.

I like their general sound- bright, banging guitars, nasally, semishouted vocals, melodic and twisty. But I found most of the songs kinda forgettable. Good, across the board- not unenjoyable. But nothing came at all close to the crackle of that star song. Except for "Temporarily Blind"- that song really put it all together in a way I like, a lot. Strong, melodic guitar lines, lots of different currents and variations that collectively add up to a great song. Also I love the start of "Sidewalk," but it sadly fades eventually into the same unmemorable territory.

Not bad, I will maybe enjoy this album more once I do some more listening, but in general, I wasn't in love with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment