Thursday, January 22, 2009

album #9

marquee moon (television)

This is a brilliant album. One of my big goals this year was to listen to a lot of music I hadn't heard before, expand my knowledge of a lot of the all time greats; this album I first listened to last year, when I had a similar motivation but less of a structure/routine. So I figured I'd go ahead, give it a fresh listen and write a quick review.

I really love the structure of the band- the drums and bass setting the rhythm, and those absolutely amazing, interwoven guitars- the intricacy, the hooks, the energy. I'm not completely in love with the vocals but they match the energy of the music very well. The first half of this album is extremely good, the second half is pretty good. "See No Evil" has a great opening riff and is generally a good song; "Venus" is fucking brilliant, probably my favorite song on the album. But it's close between that one and "Marquee Moon," which is pretty long but goes through really compelling phases (and fantastic hooks). "Friction" has an Amazing opening and otherwise it's pretty good, but not an automatic favorite.

Altogther it's a great, great album- I might have to try and find a way to get it, because it's much harder to find on youtube than it was last year. A lot of the tracks have been removed, leaving only live performances- this is probably why my impression of the later tracks wasn't as strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment