Sunday, January 11, 2009

album #5

keep your eyes ahead (the helio sequence)

This album grew on me. I really liked the avclub's description- it sounds like new wave, if it had grown older and more mature. "Can't Say No" I love, maybe the single song I love most out of the albums I've heard this year. Passionate, great hook, a really nice indie pop/ new wave sound, cool vocals. It's the second track of the album, and the first track ("Lately") is also pretty good. In that sense, the album peaks rather early. The rest of it is pretty solid though. Most of the rest of the album are good, likable songs, still catchy, but maybe a little slower or more muted than my maximum preference. "Shed Your Love" reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel. "Keep Your Eyes Ahead" is a song that, I'm not sure if I like it on its own, but within the flow of the album- as an upward surge after one or two slower, darker tracks- works very well. And "Hallelujah" really grew on me, it's a pretty cool track.

Good stuff, I'd certainly be interested to hear more of their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment