Sunday, January 25, 2009

album #11

cease to begin (band of horses)

This would be a fun band to see live- there's a passion to their music, and their sound feels like it could mostly survive the transfer from studio to stage. I really like the vocals- this high, yearning, shouting voice, with the faintest twang.

Most of the songs are slower, with a distinct lean towards mournful country music. It's still great music, and I don't mean it pejoratively, but there's a clear country lean. "Detlef Schrempf" is my favorite of the slower songs- very pretty and thoughtful. When it comes to indie rock, I love most anything that soars, and three songs on this album absolutely soar- "Is There a Ghost," "Islands on the Coast," which truly gets better with every single listen, and evolved to a huge favorite of mine, and "Cigarettes Wedding Bands," which has a vague sadness to it but really exciting hooks.

Thumbs up. The review that introduced me to this band referenced some of their influences- Built to Spill, for instance- and this album has gotten me even more excited to listen and learn more about those influences.

No comments:

Post a Comment