Thursday, September 30, 2010

album #16

perch patchwork (maps & atlases)

Math-rock, as my friend described it; also something folksy and even a touch of the medieval in it. That strong, nasally twang of the voice. Rambling balladry with thick, strange science- complicated guitars and drums interacting rhythmically. Altogether I liked it- my favorites especially were, most of all, "Living Decorations"- a special melodic drive and energy to that one, especially in the beginning-"Solid Ground" has a rhythm and drooping pull to it that evokes TV on the Radio- "Israeli Caves" has a light, melodic drive to it, high and tightly strummed- "Pigeon" has a loveliness that intrigues me, a melody and a pace, even a choice of instruments, that makes me think of Graceland- "Perch Patchwork" is a waltz through Scarborough Faire (yeah yeah, mixed metaphor.) I'll keep them on the radar for future stuff. Interesting sound, I warmed to it- especially after seeing them live.

No comments:

Post a Comment