Thursday, September 23, 2010

album #13

bookends (simon & garfunkel)

This album is perfect for me. I love the melodies and the sweet, wistful nostalgia… it's an album that's come to my life at the right time, and it's already entered heavy rotation. And so many good individual tracks- "Save the Life of My Child," those burning, buzzing guitars, a dramatic, vivid rock song; "America," one of the best songs ever. "Old Friends" has taken on a real significance for me- the sweet, wistful lope of the vocals, the pull and release of the strings- really a beautiful song, therapeutic even. and on a record that fills me, from track to track, with feelings of reflection, the feeling of hope's lights glowing beneath sorrow, the feeling of loss and finding consolation in memory, discovery… on a record that does all this, "Punky's Dilemma" is the best medicine, a charming, melodic, easy little track, one of my favorites- and virtually a must-listen after taking in the rest of the record's best tracks. Even the tracks I loved less, I still liked- this is a very nice, lovely album, and I'm glad I found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment