Thursday, September 9, 2010

album #9

forgiveness rock record (broken social scene)

Most of the following album reviews are from records I've listened to this year, from months ago, but neglected to write up.

There are some real gems on Forgiveness Rock Record- "World Sick" is a soaring masterpiece, one of my favorite songs I've heard this year. "Texico Bitches" is great, I love the sweetly driven, contemplative melody of "All to All." There's a lull in the middle when none of the tracks really engage me- one buzzes too much- too brassy, a couple have that overly predictable, interlacing plucky BSS guitar sound, one tries a little too hard to sound anthemic in the arrangement- ambitious but a little boring. I like the low, steady sound of "Sentimental X's," with Emily Haines on vocals. "Romance to the Grave" is nice- Feist in the background vocals, a cameo by Sam Prekop (overall this sounds like a BSS/S&C fusion, with the instrumentation of the former and the particular rhythm and tone of the latter.) And "Water in Hell" is a whole lot of fun- it snuck up on me in the months since I first listened to this record. A personal sleeper hit- it's the song from this album I return to the most consistently, that lunging guitar, the upbeat anthemic grunge of it. Pavementesque, one reviewer suggested, which is the best description I can think of- only because I can't think of a good one myself.

A few really really good songs. I wouldn't listen through the entire album again, but lots of nice tracks, and a nice, distinct sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment