Saturday, October 2, 2010

album #17

slanted & enchanted (pavement)

I've had this album for years, figured I'd review it. I don't know- I don't understand the cult of personality. This review says more about the carefully constructed pose of the critic, rather than the music itself. They're all right, but loved rather disproportionately. I'll say this- their sound is unlike anything else I affiliate with the '90s. There's something kindof timeless about their garage rock sound, and I like Malkmus' vocals. "Summer Babe," the aggressive "Conduit for Sale!", the mellow, contemplative "Zurich is Stained," the searing drone of "Jackals, False Grails," and perhaps my overall favorite- the terrific "Loretta's Scars." Those are the songs I really can get behind. The rest of the tracks are truly boring.

I heard "Gold Soundz" recently and it truly grew on me as a beautiful, interesting song, and I'm not going to give up on this band- perhaps Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is the right album of theirs for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment