Monday, October 31, 2011

album #9

city of daughters (destroyer)

One of the earlier Destroyer albums, City of Daughters is also the least complex of his albums that I own- touches of synth, but largely simple, direct songs, directed by the acoustic guitar. Among the albums I've liked by artists I like, this is one of the closest to something that I feel like friends of mine could make, in terms of production.

Overall my excitement level isn't tremendous with this record; there's a lot of tracks that don't quite catch me. But it's overall solid and there are a few I've always loved from this record- particularly "Loves of a Gnostic" and "Melanie and Jennifer and Melanie," two songs that have a really wistful drift in the melody. This is a Winter album for me, I was listening to it during either Christmas '06 or '07, thinking, "wow, this is kinda boring relative to the other Destroyer records I've heard." Sure, but still hints of loveliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment