Monday, October 31, 2011

album #10

life (the cardigans)

This is a fun album. When did the Scandinavians start utterly dominating pop music? I suppose ABBA is the pioneer in that regard. I'd love to spend an afternoon reading about the history of Scandinavian pop music, and why so much of it is so much better than all other pop music- or at least, very distinct. Sweet, bright, sunny, with a timeless flair of the '60s.

"Carnival" is a lush, fun opener, one of my favorite songs. I've always liked the relentless peppy pop of "Rise & Shine" and the tangle of '60s GoGo instruments unleashed to max pop effect in "Over the Water." The ending coda of "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," the 'No one, no one, nooo-bah-dy' has always been a personal favorite moment from this record- it just hits me the right way. Also, the midafternoon sidewalk cafe stroll of "Cecilia," one of the more lyrically brutal numbers, has always kept my attention.

A few of these tracks have become a little too sweet for my ears, a little too cute, but I can't be shamed out of liking the classics. There's always been a soft spot in my heart for girly Euro-bubblegum, and this is one of the finest records I own in that genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment