Monday, October 31, 2011

album #7

neon bible (arcade fire)

This is one of the big examples of an album the world loves, the critics love, that I just don't really feel for. This album is just a little too cold, a little too glum. Neon Bible was famously recorded in a church, and I feel that chilly emptiness when I listen to it. It's got some nervy, pulsing energy, that working class soul of Springsteen, some nice instrumentation, but altogether it's too dull and dark in my ears. Good, but it's never excited me. I've always loved the magisterial organs of "Intervention," and something in the ragged seesaw of "Black Wave/Bad Vibrations," the first half, has always stuck with me as a personal highlight from this record. Altogether good, but just not the album for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment