Sunday, October 30, 2011

album #4

off the wall (michael jackson)

This is another record beyond review- I'm going through my archives, with the goal of putting into words my thoughts on each record I own. "Off the Wall" is simply fantastic- sexy, sweet, a phenomenal introduction to Michael Jackson. You can hear the romance in his voice- there's always a sense of excitement when I hear this record, the sense of a young man, perfectly packaged, relentlessly talented, all glowing potential, about to be unleashed on the world. It's the peak of his attractiveness, in my book.

This record remains fixed in one weekend for me, my trip to Portland. Listening to this and the Best of the Gin Blossoms, on my old blue cd player, again and again. This record is also a bonding point between Rob and I; this was always I think our mutual favorite Michael Jackson record (though I certainly love Thriller more, these days.) This is such a great record though, lots of great uptempo numbers, great rhythm, great funk and disco and pop balladry. Several of the tracks are uptempo dance gems, all stylistically similar, the star of them perhaps the rousing finale "Burn This Disco Out." I always liked "I Can't Help It," a contemplative, romantic track, that curves really beautifully near the end- a shift in the key of the chorus that wins me over completely, every time (interesting how songs use this so effectively- "Satellites of Love" pulls it off too. I wonder what this says about the human conditioning to patterns, and the joy that comes from change without disruption of expectations.)

I love most of the songs on this album, but a personal favorite remains "Rock With You," my first favorite Michael Jackson song, and still a contender for that title. Sweet, romantic, glowing- it's a lovely song, and I can't hear it without seeing the video in my head, and I never hear just the song- every time I hear the entire unfolding potential of this incredible artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment