Sunday, October 3, 2010

album #18

ego tripping at the gates of hell (the flaming lips)

I like sweet, I like soft, I like strange, but this is just outside my lovability zone. Almost every time I listen to this band, they're just a little too precious, a little too treacly- those delicate vocals, the adorable synth instrumentation. I just find it a little bit boring- not enough power behind the melodies to get me excited. "Assassination of the Sun" is a good one, "Do You Realize?" is a song I've never liked, but this particular mix- more of a rhythmic, automated tone; the syrupy overproduction of the original, dismissed- is good and listenable. And I can get behind the cool club sound of "Ego Tripping (Jason Bentley Remix)" Altogether, a boring EP, I'll have to keep looking for the right album of theirs for me- I Loved "Race for the Prize," so I'll probably track down the album that spawned that gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment