Tuesday, October 27, 2009

album #86

led zeppelin iv (led zeppelin)

Funny thing about this record- many months ago I wrote a pretty smart, interesting review, which I lost because of an internet flub, which made me so furious that I ended up (accidentally) breaking my computer. It's not like this has left any lingering emotional issue, but it has put me in the mood to not write or think about this album for very long. A neutral negative vibe.

The first half are mostly pretty huge, famous songs, but I generally preferred the second half. I like their heavy, loud sound. This is a group that really thrives on rhythm- often the sounds of the drum and the bass are just as interesting to listen to as the vocals or the guitars. Generally I'd say the vocals are my least favorite aspect of the work, but I'm okay with them because they fit the tenor of the music. That's probably the main thing about Zeppelin, as far as I understand them- that harmony of the individual parts, the nice unity of the various elements.

Favorite tracks: the chain-gang heaviness of "When the Levee Breaks"- damn, that's a dusty song. "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Four Sticks" both have a good sound to them, the former more upbeat, the latter more driven. "Rock & Roll" is a fun one too, and of course "Stairway to Heaven" has a good sound to it. But my favorites are really those first three.

Good, heavy, rhythmic sound. I wouldn't mind hearing more of their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment