Thursday, October 22, 2009

album #83

never for ever (kate bush)

I really liked this one a lot. Certainly more than Hounds of Love, and possibly more than The Kick Inside.

The songs can get startlingly dark- two of my favorites, "Babooshka" and "The Wedding List" deal with infidelity and a pretty intense revenge killing, respectively. In addition to those two, my favorites: the gentle, dreamy ramble of "Delius," the musicalesque "Blow Away (for Bill)," and perhaps my favorite Kate Bush song, the wistful, slow-yet-catchy "Army Dreamers."

It's altogether that classic Kate Bush formula- dreamy, melodramatic, nice intersections of pop and a vaguely operatic frailty. Her music always makes me picture a foggy English dreamworld. And her best stuff is invariably pretty darn catchy. In my year-long search for 'my' Kate Bush album, this probably will stand as the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment