Tuesday, October 27, 2009

album #85

everybody (the sea and cake)

I instantly loved this album. So many great melodies, in that casually sweet Sea and Cake style. Pleasant, pretty listening, but there's still a punch to a lot of it, it feels more direct somehow than The Fawn, in a way that I like.

"Up On Crutches" opens the album with a great surge of dramatic pop energy- about as dramatic as this sighing, mellow band gets. "Too Strong" immediately follows, probably my favorite song on the record. A jangling, glowing stroll of a song, great melody. I still enjoy "Coconut," a sweetly calm, driven, chill song that takes me back to the '08 campaign season- the song that made me get the album. In fact, this qualifies as a successful example of a record that I really enjoy beyond my initial favorite track- I haven't always been so lucky this year.

The second half of the record is a little less distinct, but still has some winners. "Exact to Me" is just plain good, and "Introducting" wins me over with just the slightest, sweetest shrug of a guitar riff.

Altogether this is totally my type of band and I'll probably check out at least one or two more of their records.

No comments:

Post a Comment