Sunday, March 29, 2009

album #34

parallel lines (blondie)

This is an all right album. I'm not in love with it but there's some good stuff going on. Their overall sound is pretty good- I like the guitars, I like Debbie Harry's voice. And they have nice versatility within that sound, there are some slower songs, some faster aggressive songs, one or two songs that make me think of '50s teen ballads, and the anchor, "Heart of Glass."

"Hanging on the Telephone" is a good opener, this track really grew on me. Fast, good tune. "Pretty Baby" is one of those '50s songs I was talking about- it's like a doo wop song, run through a punk and new wave filter. Harry's voice swoons in this really lovely, low way on that track. "Sunday Girl" is nice. Chill and charming. "Just Go Away" is very good, nice cascading guitars and really strong, clean Harry vocals. The only flaw on that song: the annoyingly punkish male backup vocals. "Heart of Glass" is of course a good one, but I think I prefer the briefer, rock version, "Once I Had a Love." It feels so fresh from the studio, like it all came together on one take. There's a ragged, swishing sound to the guitars that I really like a lot. I can't quite describe what it is- maybe the guitars, the melodies, the energy- but this song (and "Hanging on the Telephone") capture the Blondie that I love best.

This version of the album includes a few bonus live tracks. They're all good, especially "Bang a Gong."

No comments:

Post a Comment