Thursday, March 5, 2009

album #27

los angeles (flying lotus)

This is fun music to write about. Generally I don't think I'm a great writer of music reviews (I'm conveying my opinions, sure, but there's not much poetry to it), but there are so many strange and wonderful adjectives that come to mind, trying to describe this album…

For instance, "SexSlaveShip" is wet and sticky. "Golden Diva" is an aerial song, with a glimmering beat. "Robertaflack" is sultry; "Riot" has a dark pulsing beat, heavy hums. "Beginner's Falafel" belongs in outer space. This is weird, fuzzy, cool music- I want to be moving slowly, or dancing, in a dark room, filled with sexy people, lit with strange colors, and I want to be tipsy or high. That's basically the ideal combination of circumstances for hearing this music. Or driving late at night through a neon city.

Great mood music. Generally I like pop or rock, not as much ambient DJ collage stuff (one downside to this album: after repeated listens, I still can barely tell which songs are which- I know when I like what I'm hearing, but my memory hasn't connected titles to sounds). But this is really good stuff. It reminds me of the stuff that my old roomie Luke was into- hazy, strange hip hop. I definitely would be up for investigating more artists like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment