Monday, March 23, 2009

album #32

a weekend in the city (bloc party)

I got kind of bored with this album from time to time. Thematically it’s a generally cool, successful work- the better songs on the album almost made me think of a musical- Les Miserables in particular. The theatric energy, the dark, adventurous, rebellious, European vibe. Many of the songs have a suitelike character- they start small and eventually spiral out into much bigger, more rocking, more symphonic creations. The first half of the album is louder and more anxious, the second half more delicate and sentimental. There are successful and dull-ish songs on both ends. I wasn’t in love with it but there are some fine works here.

“Song for Clay” is the opener, and it’s one of the strongest, most dynamic songs on the album. Excellent pace and energy- it feels like a night time rampage in London, a friend frantically dashing about the city, leading me through the back alleys. “Hunting for Witches” follows through with more of that dark energy, with a guitar lick that sounds borderline plagiaristic of “Banquet” or “Crazy Train.” “Waiting for the 7.18” grows beautifully, with nice, reflective lyrics. My very favorite might be “Kreuzberg”- it’s a soft song, with these beautiful, matt pond PA-esque guitars. And “I Still Remember” carries a prettiness, an energy, a sentimental optimism that I’m really into.

I liked most of it but I did feel like it dragged a little. I don’t know other Bloc Party albums, but I know a few of their singles. This album collectively feels less fun and less frantic than their singles- more reflective, more mature, more demanding. I’d like to hear their earlier work, see if it’s a little more playful, might be a little more up my alley. Regardless, this is pretty good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment