Monday, March 9, 2009

album #30

a love supreme (john coltrane)

This is probably the album I will have the least to say about, out of everything I've enjoyed. It's simply a different language than the language I use to write about music- I don't know jazz, so I can't recognize influences or genres; the songs are like movements in a suite, not easily digestible pieces of which I can name favorites.

All I know is that this album does what my favorite jazz does: it evokes moods. It evokes the city late at night, and my humbly clichéd dreams of coffee shops and bookish people. If I heard it at fat cat, I'd love it. At three songs and thirty three minutes, it's best for just listening straight through, rather than shuffling around for greatest hits (in this regard, as a whole work devoid of any filler, it is probably the most successful album I've heard all year). If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with "Resolution," but it's all really on the same plane of goodness, the whole way through.

Excellent work. I'd love to hear more- more Coltrane, more jazz in general- and maybe approach this album again some day, with a more informed interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment