Saturday, February 28, 2009

album #24

paul simon (paul simon)

This was Paul Simon's first solo album. I like it, it's pleasant. Mostly acoustic. Paul's voice is beautiful, one of my favorite singing voices. Nice instrumentation, good melodies, pretty cool lyrics (though I didn't listen to the lyrics too closely, as usual.) Overall I found the second half of the album not quite as strong as the first half. Still a generally nice, warm, pretty album.

"Mother and Child Reunion," one of the first times a white singer experiments with reggae- as other reviews have mentioned, an early hint of Simon's interest in world music. A chill, uplifting beat. This song reminds me of my own mother. "Duncan" is one of my favorites. Lovely, a rolling story song. The flute really makes the song, I love the flute. "Run that Body Down" is wonderful, kinda slow, a tiny hint of… I don't know how to put it. A little bluesy. An indoor song. "Armistice Day" grows and changes in some cool, interesting ways- starts slow and relaxed, hits an uptempo stride near the end. "Me and Julio down by the Schoolyard" is uptempo, catchy, charming. It makes me think of Washington Heights in the summertime. The second half of the album is mostly chill, calm, acoustic, charming but not anything that captures my attention. "Paranoid Blues" is probably my favorite of the second-half songs. Fun, nice tune. "Papa Hobo" is not one of my favorites (I mean, it's still okay), but I loved a lot of the lyrical moments in that song. "Hobo's Blues" is a charming, uptempo, delightful little instrumental.

Nice work.

No comments:

Post a Comment