Tuesday, February 17, 2009

album #20

thriller (michael jackson)

There's not much to say about this album. Every individual track is perfect pop. That's all there is to it. An interesting mix of compellingly dark tracks and straight up romantic tracks. That great, high, clear, emotional voice, at the center of a nice pop/r&b musical swirl. Simply fun, great listening from start to finish. Almost every track I've heard my entire life already, so it's hard to judge them. Out of the ones I havent heard before- "Baby Be Mine"… maybe my favorite track on the whole album. Funky, pop, they've got those trumpets- a pleasant reminder of his Off the Wall stuff, which I loved. "Human Nature"… pretty good one, I liked it a lot. Slower and thoughtful and soft, in a way that I liked. "The Lady of my Life"… eh, I guess this one is a step behind the rest, in terms of my affection. Just a little too slow, ballady. Every other track is a legendary single and I love all of them, to one degree or another. Surprisingly, "Thriller," a classic track, might be one of my less favorites- maybe simply due to overexposure. "Pretty Young Thing" grew on me a whole lot in a short amount of time. Such a great, uptempo, affectionate pop/dance song. "The Girl is Mine" has gotten some disses from critics I've read, but look, Michael's voice plus Paul's voice… that song's gonna be enjoyable, even if it's not a killer. And of course in the middle of the lineup, "Billie Jean" and "Beat It"- they're about equally good in my book. Classic, heavy, great tracks. And, I might as well mention every single track: "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin" is a kickass opener. Fast, frantic, scary, exhilarating lyrically and musically. I love it sitting on the couch, and I LOVE it dancing.

Lastly, I have to say that- I was working on some artwork while I listened to this track, and this is great 'listen while you work' music. There are several different emotional moods from song to song- it makes for good, varied listening.

I like this album instantly. That's what makes it a pop masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment