Tuesday, February 10, 2009

album #17

nevermind (nirvana)

There's not too much to say about this album, it's all been said before. Brought alternative rock into the mainstream, revolutionary effect on music, anthems for generation x. Of the albums I've listened to this year, this one had the most 'tracks that I've already heard my entire life' in there.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is obviously a classic, and it's a great song. "In Bloom" was interesting because, I originally thought that song was written as a critique of the band's mainstream, ignorant fans, After they had already become huge superstars- but this was on their breakthrough album, so I guess Kurt already felt this way (or maybe the song just doesn't fit the interpretation I've always stood by.) I can definitely recognize the Pixies influence, the alternations between the big, fast aggressive numbers and the slower, more pensive songs. The fast songs, I don't love them, but they're fun because I can absolutely picture them being played at any little grunge rock concert, like at the Duck Pond or something. Those fast songs make me think of moshpits and small sweaty venues, Nirvana on their way up, banging around the local scene. "Breed" is probably my favorite among the noisy, aggressive songs. "Polly" is probably my overall favorite out of the songs that I hadn't already known all my life- it's slow, low, simple, melodic. "Come As You Are" and "Lithium" are about equally good in my book, with the latter a slight favorite. "On a Plain" is one of my favorites. And "Drain" is a song that, I haven't yet concluded if I'd rate it "okay" or "great," it's worthy of a few more listens.

Good, simple melodies, dark lyrics, and of course a lot of history and significance in this one. It's a good reminder that, at the heart of Nirvana's revolutionary effect on music, maybe the look and the noise grabbed headlines, but the soul of it is that Kurt Cobain wrote really good melodies and relatable lyrics. That's what made the impact possible. I'm not in love with grunge, and I'm not sure if there was a particular track that I Loved, but without a doubt it's a well made, interesting and appreciable album.

No comments:

Post a Comment