Thursday, February 5, 2009

album #15

horses (patti smith)

This was a cool album. I'm not in love with it but it grew on me. "Gloria" is a pretty good track, probably the album's defining track. It grows and accelerates from a soft piano place to a great rock number by the end. And of all the albums I've listened to this year, Horses has the most badass opening lyric: 'Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine.' Also, Patti has a great punk voice, clean and snide. Reminded me a lot of Tom Verlaine's voice. I really liked "Birdland," a cool, enigmatic, rambling number, with lovely piano- it begins in this calm, yearning place and eventually surges- it really feels like a bird fighting to fly. "Kimberly" grew on me and might be worth a few more listens to really get into it. "Break it Up" is a fun, rousing number, I really liked that one. And "Land" sounded like it could have been played at Woodstock- it struck me as a little more instrumentally exciting; there's this feeling of a voyage, a psychedelic punk voyage in that song. "Elegie" is a splendidly eerie, haunting closer. Altogether a lot of piano, a lot of rambly, yearning, searing vocals, some good raw punk guitar sound. I should probably look over the lyrics sometime, I didn't listen too closely to the lyrics. I didn't love this album but there were some pretty cool songs. Altogether a solid effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment