Sunday, December 20, 2009

album #96

another green world (brian eno)

Eno intrigues me, because I don't really know much about his solo career, but I do know that he's highly regarded for his collaborations with musicians I love, like Bowie and Talking Heads. That said, I wasn't in love with this album. It never turned me off, it was just so minimalistic. The only standouts are "Everything Merges With The Night," very pretty piano, nice vocals- there's a sense of cinematic casualness to this one, sweetly quiet, contemplative wintertime. And the other standout, my favorite, "I'll Come Running," which feels like it could be a Bowie song- a nice rhythm to it, fun lyrics, the piano tinkling nicely; this is the only song that feels like it has a direction, the rest seem to exist in a mild sonic statism.

Cool sounds, cool synths, the way he changes sounds, it's all interesting. But that's all it is. Interesting, cool. Rarely fully engaging. (That said, I still think I'll give him a chance, especially on his allegedly less-minimalistic earlier albums).

No comments:

Post a Comment