Saturday, December 12, 2009

album #95

daydream nation (sonic youth)

"Declarative" is the word that comes to mind after listening to this album… every track bursts with confidence and force. It's a very distinct style that I'm trying to phrase… youthful, revolutionary, urgent but too cool to preach. I really like the vocal stylings of Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon… not really singing so much as confidently declaring their lyrics. The closest parallel I can think of is Pavement… that assertive, distinctly 90's rock n' roll sound, with cool, smart lyrics.

Most of this record, although good, didn't stand out for me. Just three tracks that I particularly loved- "Teenage Riot," a great opener, perfectly driven melodic guitars, a true sense of promise. "Hey Toni" is solid- the clanging sparkle of guitars is what I really love in this one. And "Candle" is an instant favorite- melodic, nicely paced- it sounds like the single.

This is a record that may be more exciting to hear one track at a time, rather than as an album… as an album, I got a little used to their style… bored is unfair, but it's more like, I just couldn't hear it as anything but background music. But for instance, right now I'm just listening to "Eric's Trip," not even one of my favorites, but on it's own, full of energy, drama, great guitars, great lyrics… and maybe every track is this exciting, just one-on-one.

No comments:

Post a Comment