Sunday, December 6, 2009

album #92

kala (m.i.a.)

This is a pretty badass record. Pretty thrilling sounds- worldly, hostile, eclectic, political hip hop. According to wikipedia, M.I.A. summed this record up as, "shapes, colours, Africa, street, power, bitch, nu world, and brave." Pretty much, yeah.

A lot of the tracks stand out… "Bird Flu"- intense, tropical, with some great lyrics ("when I get fat I'm gon' pop me out some leaders", "village got on the phone, said the street's comin to town"- the collision of third world village and consumer culture/hip hop… just a cool, intriguing lyric)… "Boyz," a bold single, love the sexy aggression and the chanting; "Jimmy," the lush disco ballad; "$20"… so fucking heavy. Such a heavy, intense song, with brilliantly political, fierce lyrics. "The Turn"… there's something very appealing about this one- an intrigue, a melodic plaintiveness… like a torch song at a jazz club, but according to the rules of MIA's world. "Paper Planes," the breakout single, hot, fun, intense, catchy as hell- it's the closest thing to a standard, ghetto bragadoccio American rap track. And "Come Around," another big single, closes out the record.

Every single track is memorable, distinctive, and assertive. It's a forceful record. Sometimes I like her voice, the slightest sneer of Britishness; other times her flat drone turns me off (though other times this carelessness brings a sultry, ugly power to what she says; and other times it creates just an interesting contrast with the kaleidoscopic energy of the music.)

Overall I don't Love it, but I like it a good deal, one of the best lyrical records I've listened to lately, and fun to write about it, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment