Wednesday, August 19, 2009

album #72

wolfgang amadeus phoenix (phoenix)

This is a good record. Bright, crackling, fuzzy synth pop. Phoenix is the type of band that seems to make a brand new album within their particular parameters, every time. Honestly, this is the first full album I've heard, but it's definitely different from the singles of theirs I've heard before. It's still their clean pop sound, but brighter and sharper somehow, less of a low groove.

I love the opening tracks, "Lisztomania" and "1901." Things slow down in the middle- there's an instrumental track that's just a little too long and seems to sever the album off of its hot start, forcing a reboot of sorts. The second half carries itself, fortunately. "Lasso," "Countdown" and "Armistice" are highlights among a killer lineup of bright, likable pop songs.

My only criticism is that the singer's voice gets a little annoying now and then… a high bark that feels a little repetitive from track to track. It hits the mark somewhere between yearning and subdued, I can't quite explain. But it's still plenty good, and overall this is still a perfectly fine, listenable album. I have a feeling they've made an album in the past that I'd love even more, I just have to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment