Friday, August 7, 2009

album #70

innervisions (stevie wonder)

This is a good album, versatile. I like the synth, the funk sounds, and there's a lot of socially conscious lyrics… I guess, my vague impression of Stevie Wonder as an unthreatening boomer musician has really changed after listening to his albums- he speaks pretty honestly and angrily about a lot of issues.

My favorite tracks are the catchy, dark, funky epic "Living for the City," which really transports me to 1970s Harlem. "Higher Ground" is nice and funky, cool lyrics. In general I liked the music a lot, even if I didn't totally love the songs, if that makes sense. A lot of the songs had great melodies and great instruments, they just didn't quite excite me though, but they were very good. Like, if I heard them out of nowhere, in a shuffle, catching me by surprise, I might like them more. I think I liked Songs in the Key of Life a little bit more, although this album was a little more tight and more polished. Good, relistenable record.

No comments:

Post a Comment