Thursday, August 13, 2009

album #71

at folsom prison (johnny cash)

I loved this record. Cash has one of the best voices in music history, deep, clean, sad, heavy… I'm sure entire theses have been written on it, so I won't belabor the point.

There are three versions of this record, the one I listened to was the 1999 re-release. What I loved about it was Cash's unedited banter with the prisoners… his rapport he has with the prisoners, it makes for one of the most fascinating and engaging aspects of the album. The banter, the teasing, the laughter they share. The way they holler and cheer. And my god, his credibility… song after song about dark, wild, outlaw men, doing what they can or what they must. Consistently compelling lyrics, delivered from that perfect voice, with lots of great country melody. It never felt like an obligation, listening to this record… the whole thing is enjoyable and engaging, not at all the draggy crap I think of when I think of "country." This is pure classic excellence.

There weren't many songs that stand out as favorites- the whole thing flows as a really nice piece. I guess I'd mention "Folsom Prison Blues," "Cocaine Blues," "The Long Black Veil" and "Joe Bean" as being slight favorites, but across the board it really makes for good listening. Altogether a very pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment