Thursday, January 21, 2010

dvd #1

30 Rock: Season 1

Really delightful so far. Fast paced, witty, insane. Jack is my favorite character. Dennis is also hilarious. Dr. Spaceman is pretty inspired- hilarious character.

Some of my favorite episodes: Jack The Writer (Dilbert- can we do that?) , Jack Meets Dennis, The Break-Up (I cried like a big dumb homo), Black Tie (Paul Reubens! So so awesome!), Source Awards (everything that the Wayne Brady character said- probably my favorite celeb cameo), Fireworks (America- which I invented- BOOOOO), Cleveland (one of the funniest and most bizarre episodes, so great- the JD-est of the episodes, plus a compelling plot- probably my overall favorite episode.)

So many celebrity cameos, at least one or two per episode, it seems. I wonder if this was to prop up the ratings, or just because it was the sort of show that everybody Wanted to appear on? Like, friends with connections who jumped at the opportunity to appear. Also, lots of UCB types.

This would be a hard show to write for- just so fast paced, every opportunity to make a joke, they take. Every line, every subtlety- the movie titles, the sketches. A nice sense of pattern and game (for instance, when Liz keeps getting overheard in private conversations- intercom, microphone, TV camera etc.) The characters are generally very simple archetypes, Liz and Jack are the characters that you really discover more about as the season goes on. I liked it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment