Tuesday, January 26, 2010

album #3

younger than yesterday (the byrds)

Supremely likable album. I love the Byrds' style, those beautiful choral harmonies. I like every track on the album, and I love parts of just about every song, and there are a few tracks I love all the way through- in particular "Renaissance Fair," a beautifully airy, contemplative, vaguely psychadelic song- wistful guitar interplay, mesmerizing lyrics. "CTA 102" has a nice, upbeat sound, with a twist of the hauntingly weird; "So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star" is a nice, quick, satiric opener. "My Back Pages," a Dylan cover, is quite beautiful- the song that led me to this album. Sweet, melodic, a vibe of wistful optimism. "The Girl With No Name" reminds me of the middle ground between early Beatles and Country Western- it's really good. "Why?" is a really lovely track, it really grew on me- great guitars, great melody in the verses.

Extremely likable album, good all the way through. Nice touches of pop, psychadelia, country- great guitars, those beautiful choral harmonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment