Friday, September 18, 2009

album #79

grow up and blow away (metric)

I really like this album a lot. It might be cheating that I've included it in this year's project… I listened to this record a lot, summer '07, and so the songs are all pretty familiar. But I figured it's a good one and worth some remarks. I love Emily Haines' voice, the soft, sultry tone. This band often makes me think of late, late nights in downtown New York… a romanticized world of darkness, coolness and mystery. Some favorite songs: "On the Sly," just a perfectly stretched, woeful, pulsing song… the spacey ode to suburban prison, "Parkdale," the dark, sexy rhythm of "The Twist," the high-pitched yearn of "Hardwire." Every song is just plain, cool. Thoroughly enjoyable and listenable all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment