Wednesday, July 22, 2009

album #64

marry me (st. vincent)

I really liked this album. St. Vincent is very much a nighttime musician- I feel like this album takes me to my car at night. I like her voice, the way she combines rock and classical instruments, the tone. She writes intimately… except for a few songs that seem like fantasies, most of her songs address just one other person- she often speaks to “you.”

“Now Now” and “Human Racing” are classics that I've loved for years. One of the songs I haven't heard before that I really liked is “Marry Me,” so intimate, sweet and mischevious. “All My Stars” and “Land Mines” are both particularly lovely, suitelike songs that really grow and swell in ways that I really enjoy. And “What Me Worry?' closes the album on a charming, vintage note.

This album had a very European vibe- the romance of it, the way the instruments played with eachother… it felt like an elegant Bohemian fantasy now and then. I liked Actor a little more- it seemed more complex and ambitious to me- but that's perfectly acceptable because Marry Me came first. It's growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment