Monday, July 20, 2009

album #62

everything that happens will happen today (david byrne and brian eno)

I've been away from the music reviews for about a month now; computer trauma and the general sag of summer kept me away. But I'm gonna work my way back into doing this as a regular part of my week. I'm not gonna write too much about this record because I'm still working the rust out. Anyway…

Generally this was a pleasant record. I maybe listened to it too much, got a little bit sick of it- I find it a little sing-songy in an annoying way, on some tracks. Generally I really enjoyed Byrne's voice and how it interacts with Eno's music. It's also interesting to consider these as separate entities- like, as music that Byrne was given, to write/sing whatever he wanted over it. As Byrne says, there's an interesting vibe of electronic gospel to it- these synthetic compositions with glowing choral arrangements.

“Strange Overtones” is the clear winner- a really beautiful song with a hint of darkness to it, generally just a great, funky sound. Before I heard this album, I remember hearing a song in the theatre that I thought- damn! I Need to find that song!- and I was pretty sure it was from this album, and in retrospect I'm fairly certain it was this song. Other good ones were “Wanted for Life,” which has a really cool attitude to it, and “The Lighthouse,” which really sounds like some sort of prayer from the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment