Sunday, April 19, 2009

album #39

living with the living (ted leo)

This is a solid album. I didn’t quite love it the way I’ve loved other Ted Leo albums, but there were some really strong tracks. He definitely brings his classic energy and passion to the music. I’m not sure exactly what it is, if the songs are less melodic, or more predictable, or if the political connotations (or social connotations) have changed over the years to lessen his appeal for me. Regardless, solid work, with some flashes of brilliance.

The album gets off to a strong start. “Sons of Cain” is awesome, fast, catchy, classic Leo, one of the best tracks. “Army Bound” is good and solid. “Who Do You Love?” is nice and catchy, a hint of delicacy backed with Leo’s typically excellent, fast guitar. “Colleen” is also nice and catchy, a ballad with a fantastic guitar solo. And “Bottle of Buckie” is a good, sweet lull of a song. After that the album drops off a little, most of the other songs are either okay or good but too long. Good songs but not favorites.

I’m a little biased because of my familiarity with Ted Leo’s work- I wonder if I’m suffering from, boredom because I know his style, or a change of taste or what. But on the other hand, I still really enjoy his earlier work. Tough to say. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment