Sunday, April 12, 2009

album #36

enter the wu-tang (36 chambers) (wu-tang clan)

I liked this album, I didn't love it. Overall I like the gritty, hazy production, but generally I found the beats forgettable or unremarkable, and for my tastes I need an interesting, melodic beat to get into rap. The most interesting elements of this album, and this group, are the eccentric, playful Shaolin/kung fu mythology, the lyrical dexterity- fantastic rhymes and a good number of clever metaphors- and the versatile styles of the rappers involved.

It's fun hearing and examining the different paces and voices. Ol' Dirty Bastard sounds like a ghost trying to startle you. A vulgar, smoky ghost. GZA's got a good low, clear voice. Inspectah Deck's got a good, basic voice- reminded me a little bit of Jay Z. Ghostface Killah is an insanely talented, fast rhymer. Raekwon's got a hint of anger and energy and urgency in his voice, it's like he's really attacking you with his words. U-God's voice is a nice, low and rough, like a growling dog. RZA's got a good, tough, fast voice. Method Man's got the dusty flow.

The songs that really stood out: "Bring da Ruckus"- great kung fu samples, an aggressive, excellent opener, a great introduction to the mythology and the attitude of the group. "Shame on a Nigga," probably my favorite beat on the album. So damn fast, and brassy, with some nice piano mixed in and fantastic rhyming. Probably my overall favorite song. "Can it be all so Simple" makes me think of alien honey. A little plaintive and soulful, thoughtful bass, a slow, strange drip. "Da Mystery of Chessboxin," the beat just bears an incredible resemblance to Age of Empires. Otherwise it's a nice display of the Clan's versatile styles. "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing Ta Fuck Wit" is a generally good song, good beat, good verses. "C.R.E.A.M." has a nice piano beat, one of the better beats on the album. "Tearz" is startingly harsh and sad, lyrically (a little brother shot to death, a friend who contracts AIDS). "Protect Ya Neck" makes for a great display of their various styles, each rapper gets their own verse and does their own thing with it.

The standout songs are all songs that I liked. The only ones I really Loved were "Ruckus" and "Shame." Good album, fun stuff, obviously more fun and more funny and more interesting than a lot of hip hop, but still not totally my thing. I need sweeter beats to really fall in love with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment