Wednesday, November 18, 2009

album #90

summerteeth (wilco)

This is my favorite Wilco album that I've heard. It has a much stronger energy than the other albums I've heard… less musty, creaky, experimental than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, not nearly as tentative or slow as Sky Blue Sky. Just a series of strongly driven, well played, fun songs- the most noticeable difference coming in the hardness, the loudness of the electric guitars. Easily the most relistenable Wilco record I've heard.

The opening track, "Can't Stand It," instantly won me over with that dramatic riff at the top… just instantly establishing a tone of drama and authority. "ELT" is my favorite (for now- they're all pretty good in their own way, and I feel like my preferences will evolve) of the other upbeat, guitar-and-driven harmony tracks. "When You Wake Up Feeling Old" is my favorite of the slower songs… sweet jangle of the guitar, an endearing twinkle of the piano, and a sense of uplift. And "Summer Teeth" is a pretty masterful track- that upbeat pop, the intriguing lyrics, the guitar sound with some flashes of that experimental energy. A good track, worth relistening and reexamining.

I had almost given up on this band, or at least gotten bored with going to their albums for review material, but this one really won me over, right off the bat. Good one guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment