Thursday, June 11, 2009

album #59

sun giant (fleet foxes)

This is the shortest music compilation I've listened to this year- an EP of 5 songs, less than 20 minutes long- but oh my God is it good. These songs are simply beautiful- soaring, glowing, timeless melodies. It makes for a gorgeous rediscovery of '60s folk/pop- especially in the interplay and harmonies of the vocals, which evoke the Beach Boys, the Mamas and the Papas, and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

"Sun Giant" is a beautiful morning hymn. "Drops in the River" patiently builds and surges beautifully with a quietly forceful passion. "English House" is generally pleasant, and opens especially strong with a beautiful (can't get enough of that adjective with this EP), cascading vocal harmony. "Mykonos" has a generally lovely, wintry sound, and surges unexpectedly with this beautiful, very CSNY-style refrain midway through. "Innocent Sun," although less perfect than the other four tracks, is still pretty pleasant.

It took me a while to start listening to these guys- I generally discount/resent the great works made by people my age- but upon first listen they've completely won me over. Sun Giant was absolutely marvelous, and I'm excited to listen to more of Fleet Foxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment